Georgia is leading the way to ensure that educators in the early grades are equipped with the knowledge and expertise so that children experience developmentally appropriate classroom climates from birth through third grade.
Positive learning climates foster strong connections among children and the adults who care for them; ensure that children feel welcome, safe, and supported; and improve attendance, engagement, and learning. As children transition from early learning classrooms into elementary school classrooms, they can still benefit from practices used by early learning educators to nurture responsive relationships, create supportive environments, and provide targeted social emotional supports.
Through a partnership between the Metro Regional Education Service Agency, Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL), and Georgia Department of Education, Georgia is innovating a practice that integrates strategies from the preschool Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) model into the school-wide model.
The PBIS Early Learning Toolkit features materials that illustrate what a positive learning climate looks and feels like; demonstrate how to apply positive learning climate practices in everyday classroom scenarios; and build the capacity of educators to structure positive learning environments that prevent challenging behaviors from occurring and set the stage for social-emotional learning.
The toolkit includes:
- Sample Documents that elementary schools can employ as they implement this aligned model
- A series of 11 professional development PBIS Early Learning Classroom Modules designed to support positive behavior in all children by examining adult behavior and classroom practice
- A series of 12 PBIS Early Learning Videos to be used in conjunction with the modules, modeling developmentally appropriate classroom strategies for Pre-K through third-grade teachers
- Coaching Tools for school administrators and coaches to use in supporting classroom teachers in applying this aligned model
- A schedule of monthly online PBIS Early Learning Webinars for continuous training
- Early Learning Climate Infographics that visualize this aligned model
- A series of five Early Learning Climate Videos designed for administrators, teachers, parents, policymakers, and others interested in creating healthy classrooms in Georgia
Early Learning Climate Infographics for Teachers and Administrators
Early Learning Climate Videos
Administrators, teachers, parents, policymakers, and anyone with a stake in creating healthy classrooms in Georgia are encouraged to check out these videos, each less than 10 minutes in length, that illustrate what a positive learning climate looks and feels like as well as demonstrate how to apply positive learning climate practices in everyday classroom scenarios.
Why Positive Learning Climates Matter
Check out this introduction to the concept of positive learning climate and why it matters.
The Power of Positive Early Learning Climate for Children Ages 0-8
Find out why “early learning” should be classified as ages 0-8 instead of ages 0-5.
Five Mind Shifts Required to Create Positive Early Learning Climates
New mindsets are necessary to pave the way for successful and positive early learning climates in schools across Georgia.
Three Classroom Practices to Build Positive Social-Emotional Engagement with Early Learners
We encourage anyone with a stake in creating healthy classrooms in Georgia to use this in your trainings, curricula, presentations, and keynotes.
Georgia’s Response to the Need for Positive Early Learning Climates
The practice of integrating strategies from the preschool model of PBIS into the school-wide model helps lay a secure foundation for children during their first few years of elementary school.